Writing about fellow bloggers gets you more than just a link

Social Media Marketing Guides, Trends, & Forums Forums SEO / SEM Link Building Writing about fellow bloggers gets you more than just a link

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by xSEOxNinja xSEOxNinja 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Jesse Aaron
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 51
    • Total posts: 83

It gets you a friend!

Yea that sounds corny but it’s true. I wrote an article about my favorite writers awhile back and two cool things came of it. First, Matthew Woodward linked to the write-up and thanked me, which establishes the base for a good relationship. Secondly, Gini Dietrich (my other favorite writer) has an awesome blog (Spin Sucks) that I’m not contributing to when I find the time. The Spin Sucks community is vibrant, active, and engaged.

Thirdly, this works the other way. Charles Floate (see now I’m linking to him) mentioned a recent guide I wrote for Social Media Examiner on his GodofSEO blog. I was already aware of him as he’s made a number of big splashes in the SEO community (with longform guides and some very entertaining posts!) – plus, we both play the same computer game!

My advice is: do not tunnel vision links.

You can earn them by just being nice. Or being helpful. It sounds corny, but it’s viable and dare I say “scalable” tactic. Jeevan Jacob John of Daring Blogger is probably the most active and engaged blogger I’ve seen – definitely #1 in terms of real and thoughtful comments.

jonterns
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Total posts: 4
    Registered Member

I didn’t realize that something like that would actually work! I am going to try it; should I go for the big name blogs or start small and work my way up?

Jesse Aaron
      Keymaster
      • Topics: 51
      • Total posts: 83

I would start by creating a Google/Excel spreadsheet and listing out all of the relevant industry sites you could benefit from, whether it be a link, mention, or feature article. Then simply organize them by priority – whichever sites you feel yield the most potential.

If you have no prior connections then it’s a lot easier to start with smaller niche sites and work your way up.

xSEOxNinja
    xSEOxNinja
    • Topics: 27
    • Total posts: 44
    Registered MemberCreate 3 New Forum Topics5 Forum Topic CommentsPower BadgeFriendship Badge

This seems like a solid white hat strategy – going to bookmark this for my other accts.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.