How to send friendly emails that get read

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Harris 3 years ago.

• Author

Jesse Aaron
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 51
    • Total posts: 83

I used to outreach with lots of exclamation points.

> “Hey Person! I hope you’re doing well! That sky diving photo you posted on your blog was radical! Now I want to skydive!”

Maybe I’m exaggerating a little, but you get the idea. I thought this would create urgency and excitement, leading to a response.

The CTR wasn’t low, but it wasn’t the great either.

So then I tried voicing the message in my head first – as if I was meeting someone new. I realized that nonchalant messages are a much better style and they received a higher response rate.

> “Hey person, hope you’re doing well. Someone in our mutual network shared your recent sky diving album and I thought it was pretty awesome! Anyway, I noticed you had a blog and we write about similar topics so I figured it was worth a shot to see if you would be interested in me contributing an article. Etc.. etc.. etc..”

Granted, I still had to sneak 1 exclamation in but it’s a lot more toned down.

Roger Harris
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Total posts: 17
    Registered MemberCreate 3 New Forum Topics5 Forum Topic Comments

I like how it’s styled friendly but also has an air of professionalism. I like the idea of touching on something they’ve recently done, like skydiving, and using that to anchor them in. When I cold pitch my ghostwriting service I usually highlight pages on their web properties that are lacking or could be improved, so I guess that’s my variation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.